Thursday, August 5, 2010

MISS: Ebbets Field Flannels Ball Caps for J.Crew


It became clear sometime around the summer of 2008 that J.Crew was back. Dumping its small, liberal-arts college frat-boy aesthetic for a smart, affordable, sophisticated men's line, it established some major closet real-estate among, well, everyone.

In addition to revamping their own stuff, J.Crew also partnered with classic brands such as Alden, Ray-Ban, Belstaff and Levi's to further lend some authenticity and quality to their products.

Most of these partnerships are killer, with one glaring exception - the Ebbets Field Flannels vintage ball cap collection. Total miss.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against ball caps. I was rarely without one through college. I still have a great, handmade eight-panel Yankees cap from the now shuttered Cooperstown Ball Cap Company that I'll wear to the stadium, and I kinda dig Ebbets' homage to Roy Hobbs included in the line. That being said, it's a little silly for a man to be wearing one unless he's playing or watching the game.

J.Crew's price-point, while affordable, is still high enough to weed out the guys who could give a shit about what they wear - i.e. the guys who would wear a ball cap out on the town. So I have to wonder, has any J.Crew shopper bought one of these, save as a gift for dad or grandpop?

No comments:

Post a Comment