Monday, August 9, 2010

INTEL: The Fantastic Four


With few exceptions, Glenn O'Brien's word is law with me. I know he can get a little bitchy, but the guy is damn near flawless when it comes to sartorial advice. So when The GQ Eye posted an archived note from O'Brien on buying a watch today, I thought I'd have a little fun with it.

O'Brien writes, "I have a lot of watches, but I wear only about four of them."

Fine, Glenn. Four it is.

BDC's TOP FOUR WATCHES UNDER $4000*
*I know. $4000 is a lot of do-re-mi. But this is the only piece of jewelry you'll ever buy yourself. Or, at least it should be. Do it right.

Note - Click the name of the watch to see it.

The Omega Speedmaster Professional
I love stuff that has a good back story, and this one doesn't get much better. You can read all about it here, but the gist is that NASA needed a watch that could handle going to space, and this was the only one that survived its ridiculous battery of tests. For me, this is THE watch.

The Fortis Flieger Automatic Chronograph
This is a close second to the Speedy Pro. (It's also much more affordable.) The Flieger is the official European cosmonaut watch. I love the leather band and chunky crown, and the dial looks like something from a flight instrument panel. Not that I'd know.

The Bell & Ross Vintage 123 Black

No great story with this one, I'm afraid. Launched in 1992, Bell & Ross is an embryo compared to most of its esteemed colleagues in the luxury timepiece market. Still, they make gorgeous, quality stuff. The face on this one reminds me of old clocks you see at railway stations. This would be my "dress" watch. I'd even wear it with a tux. (Yes, James Bond has been steering us wrong all these years. No watch with a tux. Technically.)

The TAG Heuer Carrera Automatic
I know, TAG is a bit obvious. But the one I've linked to here is a really handsome watch with an automatic movement that you can find in many department stores. And it's a little more refined than the standard "look at me" stainless steel, newly-minted lawyer-who-didn't-know-how-else-to-spend-his-cash model.

No comments:

Post a Comment